[THIN] Re: speaking of security nazis

  • From: "Wilson, Christopher" <CMWilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:22:43 -0500

It seems to be more about their perimeter security philosophy than
anything.  Multi-hop DMZ, with three rings to get through before you are
internal.  They don't like that it hops right by their perimeter rings.
They also don't like that it runs on Windows, so maybe the CAG would
appease that.

I'm not sure the kind of attack, but the argument goes something like
this.  If we provide remote access to this Citrix server, someone could
potentially hack it and get administrative access, and then what?  It
seems like an anti-windows bias coming from a unix oriented team.  In
this argument, vague as it is, if the server is the vulnerability I
thought I would attack it at the server level.  (Obviously we already
patch and run AV).  So I brought in AppSense.  I thought they would dig
the lock down of processes on the server, and security policies that
filter on client location.  They weren't impressed. They want something
else that sits in the DMZ as a barrier.

This team has apparently been pretty dogmatic about their policies, but
I am hoping to find someone who will reason with me :-).   I appreciate
you guys helping me make my case.