[THIN] Re: speaking of security nazis

Hi Andrew,

I may be off topic here and am certainly not trying to vendor pitch but given
you mention Environment Manager and Application Manager you may have overlooked
a feature within Application Manager - Advanced Network Access Control.

In AM you can apply executable restriction rules right, like adding a group and
then going into deny and blocking say CMD.EXE - obviously you can also do the
reverse, block everything yet allow this and that.

Well, in 8.0 (current release) you can also do the same with network ports,
shares and URL's.  Just go into either a group rule, user rule or device rule
and in either the allow or deny list choose to add an item only choose Network
Item.

We (AppSense) introduced this feature for the finance sector where what you
describe is the norm.  This way you can put a mini-firewall around specific
users / groups etc and prevent them from going outside of their machine (I.e.
double-hopping onto another machine).

Again, you can restrict shares and URL if required using the same feature.

Sorry to product pitch but just wanted to let you know that what you're trying
to do may already be possible with the products your looking at.

Cheers,
Jon

http://www.insidetheregistry.com