[THIN] Re: redirect my documents

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:39:44 +0100

As to point 1 - that's all well and good - but how does the script,
running at the start of the users session establish the OU, and the
resources within?

And paragraph 2 - how do you establish a users DN, unless you know it,
or search for it?

These are normally the obstacles when writing code that attempts to
leverage the structure of AD / a directory.

That's not to say it's not possible - in fact my initial reply was that
it *is* possible. Merely that your comments suggest it's an easy,
obvious thing available straightaway via an elementary script.

As an example, I've deployed login scripts that use the computers (PC)
location in AD, in order to establish which printers to map for a user.
I have also written scripts to establish the same for users and access
to shares published in AD. This doesn't require anything being
hard-coded into scripts in terms of group memberships, or the like. But
in order to not gloss over the reality of doing such a thing, the DN
(either for a computer, or user) is not automagically available - unless
you hard-code it. You would need to include some logic within your
script to *establish* the DN, before you can start thinking about other
aspects of the directory structure.

It's a chicken / egg thing, normally. By the time you've done the work
to establish the DN for an object, you already know it's location. The
trick is finding the object...

Neil