[THIN] Re: pc anywhere

  • From: Rick Mack <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:20:55 +1000

Hi Andrew,

This is a perfect case for VDI; that application that you don't want on a TS
that is used by only a few users. Admittedly the degree of integration
between XenApp and XenDesktop at the moment makes things more than a bit
awkward, but once the technology catches up to the marketting [?] it ought to
be dead simple.

My first foray into VDI was nearly 4 years ago when we'd done a full TS
implementation with thin clients on almost everyone's desk. Then they were
sold a Cisco VOIP solution and Cisco presence didn't run on TS. There were a
bunch of senior personal assistants in the company that gave the IT manager
hell because they couldn't even tell if their bosss was on the phone. We
didn't want to give them PCs instead of their thin clients so the answer was
to run up a bunch of XP virtual machines on one of their ESX host, and hard
codes the thin clients to connect to the Windows XP VMs. A bit of magic with
the shell to make XP look just like 2003 TS and nobody was the wiser. But
the PAs had what they wanted and we had a quiet life.

You don't need to give your users fat PCs just because you can't run an
application on TS. Give them access to published applications hosted on
Windows XP/7 instead.

regards,

Rick

--