[THIN]

  • From: paul.burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:19:38 +0100

Greetings

We've currently got a 10-server W2K SP3 + MF XPa + FR2 farm with an Access
datastore (on a dedicated server) providing desktop load balancing for up to
350 users. This all works and performs fine with no problems now that W2K
SP3 is installed (profile unload problems prior to SP3). There are 3
published applications on the farm, but 2 are purely for admin connections
and are rarely utilised.

It has now been decided to implement a new published application to 450
users utilising 8 new servers (8 is enough according to the software
suppliers). This number is made up of the 350 TS users + 100 PC users,
though it is envisaged that no more that 400 would ever be concurrently
connected to the new published app. I've got 2 questions for those of you
who may have experience of this scenario: -

1.  Will the Access datastore *really* be sufficient for the extra workload
(18 servers, 400 users)? Citrix's guidelines say "yes", but what does the
real world say? A SQL server is available if required, though I would prefer
to keep everything 'local' if possible.

2.  Should I build the new servers into the existing farm and just publish
the app. on the 8 new servers, or should I configure a new farm to handle
the new application?

My own leaning is towards utilising the existing farm and Access database,
but I'm obviously fishing for 'definites' here!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Envision Technologies Limited
Blackburn Technology Management Centre
Challenge Way, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 5QB
Telephone:01254-279292 Facsimile:01254-675232

**************** E-mail Confidentiality Notice ****************

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain
confidential information which is legally privileged. The
information is solely for the use of the intended recipient.
If you have received this e-mail in error, any disclosure,
copying, printing, distributing or the taking of any action
in reliance on the contents without authority is prohibited.
In such case, kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or
telephone the number above, then please delete this e-mail.