[THIN] Re: no, no, help me....you printing gunu's

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:09:48 +0000

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:25:23 -0000, Lilley, Brian <brian.lilley@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just what ARE you up to today mr lilley? :)
> ** Ah, you know, the usual, shuffling windows around on my screen and looking
> very very busy indeed.

Thats a magical art form that :)

> ** by default, the Windows 2003 server will not allow the auto-install of the
> network print server's Version 2 print driver.. so the mapping of the printer
> connection fails completely... like I said, I did try and map to V3 driver but
> it falls over in a heap!
>
> ** hhhmmm... the test I did used the "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL 6"
> drivername which was exactly the same description less a space character to
> that of the drivername description for the version 2 driver, so I know they
> are both PCL 6 drivers.... anyway, I mapped the version 2 driver name to the
> version 3 driver in NTprint.inf.  So, should I be able to use a V3 driver at
> the terminal server and have it pipe printstream through a version 2 driver on
> the printserver... that's what I wonder??

That is odd - we have that exact driver (lj5000 pcl6) but doing the
reverse, kinda.. That driver is on some Win95 clients, which connect
to the 2003 MF which has a PCL5e driver mapped. Works fine that way
round.. Can you not try a PCL5 driver? Theyre reputed to be less
temperamental?!

Out of curiousity, wheres the NT box in all this? Is it the ultimate
print server?

Andrew