[THIN] Re: latency

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <neil.braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:43:54 +0100

I don't have any thing authoritative to dispute this, other than to say, I
can witness and monitor system activity - and this normally becomes a
requirement, when having issues along these lines.

> A specific example would be if a
> kernel mode driver were to go into an infinite loop,

Yup - seen that sort of activity, had to trace it, and have managed to trace
it with perfmon and task manager.

> this
> would block user mode activity and in turn cause CPU counters
> to go down to zero,

Not in my experience.

The counters don't got to zero.

And besides - don't you think that's a little naive? Just because an
application runs largely in user mode, does not mean that all the hooks it
references do. Otherwise, things like task manager and / or perfmon would
never truly work.

> while the CPU would in fact be
> unavailable to do useful work for users.

Threads can have priority, and / or be looping. In such case, it's the
kernel mode activity, that by it's very nature, can't (normally) be
interrupted (I'm think OS rings, here).

> We have observed the converse in many successful TScale
> installations. Specifically, as TScale has eliminated page
> file activity (which is kernel mode activity)

So is general memory usage - ultimately.

> from the
> execution threads of applications, CPU utilization has gone
> up. The reason it has gone up is that now more CPU is
> available to do useful work for users, and as the CPU does
> useful work for users the system performs better, scales better, etc.

The true reason is merely that there are possible less steps required to
serve the memory demands / and/or the requests can be served more quickly by
pages in physical memory (read: RAM) as opposed to having to fetch them from
virtual memory.

> The bottom line answer to your question is that yes, we
> believe that CPU utilization counters are misleading because
> they do not include CPU utilized by the OS in kernel mode
> tasks.

I've *never* seen it, and I *have* had numerous instances where I've had to
trace looping (read: cpu draining) kernel mode drivers. As always, YMMV, but
I'm far from convinced that the counters mislead, or don't report - unless
the machine is too damn busy to respond to anything else, other than the
looping thread, in which case the box is effectively dead, anyways.

Not trying to pick a fight, just saw things mentioned that don't square with
me. Perhaps others may comment their thoughts?

Neil

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,