[THIN] Re: fault tolerance print servers

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:41:03 +0100

I've used what was legato's application server, which I think is now EMC's
Autostart. That allowed you to configure multiple servers to host the same
service and automatically fail over that service in the event of an
individual server failure.

That service could be many things - including printing.

At the time, the advantage over clustering was that the servers didn't  need
to be have a dedicated and connected shared resource - it could be deployed
to existing h/w.

The advantage over the 'change the dns/cname entries' was that, in the event
of a disaster, it just worked and there was no need for in-house scripts to
be maintained and forgotten about.