[THIN] Re: fault tolerance print servers

  • From: "Greg Reese" <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 06:23:49 -0500

you could build two servers and build the same queues on each one.  Then use
an alias in DNS to point the users to one or the other.  Should the main one
fail, change the alias in DNS to the other one and clients should keep
working.  it's not automatic unless you do some clever monitoring and
scripting.  And you might lose a couple print jobs in the tranisition during
a failure.

there's a few holes in this but it is basic and easy.

Greg