From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
James Scanlon
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:45 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: XenServer Slowdown

Greetings
(sorry about last unfinished email went to save to get more info and clicked
send - sigh)

We are having speed issues with our XenServers

 *   Brand New builds
 *   Deployed with Altiris
 *   Xenserver 5.0
 *   Windows 2008 Standard 64bit
 *   36GB RAM
 *   Dual CPU, 8 Core processors X5560 2.80Ghz
 *   Appsense EM and PM (with citrix CPU and memory management disabled)
 *   Sophos AV
 *   HP Hardware DL380 G6 with teamed nics
For normal operation we are getting 25 second login time (to desktop)

After approx 30 users (or 2 days without a reboot), the performance drops to
1-1.5 minutes just to log in, everything sluggish, cant open task manager even
though multiple taskman icons appear in systray.
No performance issues on the systems themselves, all sitting around %25
utilised. (CPU, MEM, DISK etc)

So far:
We have disabled Sophos, no result
disabled Appsense, no result
turned on VT instructions for CPU in the BIOS, no result
turn off TCP offloading for the NICS
HW firmware for Servers / patching (latest PSP)
Software for OS and apps / patching

Any one seen anything like this already? apart now from bringing up a VM host
to eliminate hardware or a full manual rebuild and testing at each stage of the
build process - we are starting to run out of 'obvious ideas'
ANY assistance and advice greatly appreciated!

JAMES

______________________________________

C. Hoare & Co. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
with registration no. 122093. The FSA's address is 25, The North Colonnade,
Canary Wharf, London E14 5HS.

Registered in England no. 240822. Registered office 37 Fleet St, London, EC4P
4DQ

Confidentiality Disclaimer:

This message and attachments are confidential and may be privileged, and are
sent for the personal attention of the addressee(s). If you are not the
intended addressee, any use, disclosure or copying of this document is
unauthorised. Information transmitted by email may be intercepted, lost,
destroyed, corrupted or delayed and as a result, C. Hoare & Co. do not accept
responsibility for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message. If
you would like to confirm the contents of this email, please request a hard
copy version.

If the contents of this message are of a personal nature, the email will have
been sent in a personal capacity and not on behalf of C. Hoare & Co.

Monitoring/Viruses:

C. Hoare & Co. may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with
current legislation. Although emails are screened for viruses, C. Hoare & Co.
cannot guarantee that any transmissions will be virus free.

This message and any attachments may be a confidential attorney-client
communication or otherwise be privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, any review, distribution or copying of this transmittal is
prohibited. If you have received this transmittal in error, please reply by
e-mail and delete this message and all attachments