[THIN] Re: Xen Desktop and other VDi solutions

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 08:09:06 -0000

Matt,

It'd be useful to know some more about your environment and use cases.
You've quoted technologies there, and you can have a straight compare of
features - but do those features match what it is that you need to deliver
what your users want?

You say "never going to deliver 3d graphics with xenapp" - is that because
that feature is needed, or because that feature is cool?

I worked recently with a group who were under the impression that xendesktop
was the *only* way that they could get good video performance - but we
tested and evidenced that the new HDX technologies incorporated into latest
versions of XenApp, combined with performance improvements in R2 meant they
could roll out XenApp6 rather than move to xendesktop. Looked at thin
clients from hp and 10zig. The users just wanted better colours in their IE
sessions and video - xenapp 6 delivered that.

"where the business thinks that VDI is of use." .. to be honest "the
business" rarely cares about how the technology works, just as long as it
does.

My experience - unless you've apps that only work in a desktop OS, VDI
offers little over XenApp sessions.

What do you need it to do?