[THIN] Re: Windows 2000 Terminal server in NT Domain

Hi Joseph,

Is the domain controller used for file/print operations as well? I've seen
this type of problem when the network i/o request queues on the T.S. system
filled up. If you search against maxworkitems and maxmpxct in technet,
you'll find that some of the symtoms include losing connections with the DC,
TS server hangs etc.

A neat way to check is to disconnect all sessions on the file/print
server/DC. If it's related to I/O requests the TS server will come back to
life, albeit somewhat broken. In any acse, I always bump up maxmpxct and
maxworkitems on all back-end systems servicing terminal servers.

Another cause of hangs on win2k terminal servers is a bug that comes in to
play when the server starts doing signigicant paging. If
disablepagingexecutive is set to 1,
(hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\session manager\memory management).
However I doubt whether that's the case here.

Win2k service pack 3 also seems to have introduced a new type of server
hang, cause unknown as yet. In this scenario, unless you've got a good
reason to go to SP3, backing out to SP2 may help.

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
rmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx