[THIN] Re: What part of this article has been fixed properly by MS?

Licensed connections are still concurrent. The
licensing-fee structure has become $$$ per client for
Subscription Advantage. But you can setup as many
servers as you like and spread your connection
licenses out. Initially, installing and activating XP
licenses, especially from an upgrade, was a pain in
the rear, but it's improved now.

Printing is improved the big addition was the
Universal Print Driver (HP LaserJet 4 basically) that
it'll use for any printer that it doesn't have a
driver for. Drawback - no color, no duplexing, limited
resolution. This will get better, but NDAs prevent me
from saying anymore.

All of the utils are moved into the java-based CMC -
which most people loathe.

Citrix does recommend uninstalling MF before imaging
the server, and then reinstalling it after the server
is renamed and network address is changed. It's not
too painful. It's even less painful if you SQL for
your datastore, but then you run into SQL licensing
expenses (hint, with 200 users it'd probably be
cheaper to license SQL per cpu).

Microsoft announced that it will phase out support for
Windows NT Server 4.0, beginning January 1, 2003. As
of that date, customers will be unable to get free NT
4.0 hotfixes. As of January 1, 2004, the company will
cease making NT 4.0 hotfixes available altogether and
will stop supporting the product.

If your current environment is solid and does all that
you need, then there's not much advantage to
migrating. Understand that your products will
eventually have no vendor support, but if you've
acquired enough expertise that may not be an issue.
Also, terminal services in .NET server will cover a
lot of what MetaFrame provides - load balancing,
serial port mapping, sound mapping, client drive
mapping, higher screen resolutions and color depth.

FWIW, I have clients still on WinFrame, and others
still using Buffalo boxes. So you're already more
modern than they are.

HTH

http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=3D8842

http://mailplus.yahoo.com