[THIN] Re: What is the optimal RAID configuration

  • From: Jay.Jukes@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 01:43:53 +0930

Could another possible solution be RAID 0+1?  This would provide fault
tolerance and provide greater performance

Cheers
Jay Jukes
    COM Centre Systems Engineer
    MCSE    MCP+I    CCA
    CSM Technology
    Ph:     61 8 8936 1400
    Fax:    61 8 8941 1657
    Email:  jay.jukes@xxxxxxxxxx
    Web:     www.csm.com.au

                    Adam_Baum@xxxxx

                    sa.az.us               To:     thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Sent by:               cc:     "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
<thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
                    thin-bounce@fre        thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    elists.org             Subject:     [THIN] Re: What is the
optimal RAID configuration

                    13/07/2002

                    01:09

                    Please respond

                    to thin

One thing no one has asked yet (at least I have not seen it), is how are
the two different RAIDs going to be configured?  The original question
stated RAID1 for system, RAID 5 for application.  Is this all happening on
the same system?  If so, unless this server has the ability to split the
drive cage into multiple channels, there will be a performance hit mixing
the two styles.  I tried this on a DL580 and DL380 and was very
disappointed with the results.
adam

                    Joe Shonk

                    <JShonk@gtcsyst       To:     "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
<thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    ems.com>              cc:

                    Sent by:              Subject:     [THIN] Re: What is
the optimal RAID configuration
                    thin-bounce@fre

                    elists.org

                    07/12/2002

                    08:39 AM

                    Please respond

                    to thin

RAID 1 is fault-tolerant... Multiple load balanced servers in a farm are
not.  Granted there is contigencies/redundancy built in a load balanced
farm, but it's not considered fault-tolerant. If the drive fails, the whole
server fails.  Dropping any connections it had with it, and possible loss
of valuable data.  With Raid 1, if you lose a drive your still ticking
aways as if nothing happened.