[THIN] Re: Web Interface and access via groups/permissions

  • From: "Steve Raffensberger" <sraffens1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:07:09 -0400

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.

At a former employer, I had to worry about a similar issue... non-exempt
people working all hours of the day and night. Here's what we did rather
than create an administrative nightmare as Michael describes.

We chose a department policy approach rather than a technical one. The
official policy was that the VPN door was always open, just like the glass
door at the front of the building. If a non-exempt employee was ASKED to
work extra hours, they were welcome to use either door and would be paid
overtime. However, if they were not asked, but wished to work voluntarily,
they were not welcome to do so even though both doors remained unlocked.
Since they were not welcome, they would not be paid.

The monitoring we did showed quite a few folks logging in to check batch
computer jobs but they didn't spend any appreciable amount of time. No
one ever "tested" this policy in court but I think it would have held up.

HTH,

Raff