[THIN] Re: Web Interface 2.0

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:36:28 -0700

You are missing my point -- redirection of HTTP traffic through the same box (even to another WI box as you point out) that maintains CSG traffic introduces higher vulnerability regarding denial of service attacks.

Check CSG performance counters -- you will probably notice HTTPS connections that have nothing to do with your intent to provide MetaFrame access across the Internet. If you use multiple CSG boxes (some possibly in a dedicated proxy mode) this is not a big issue.

A agree that new CSG presents a slick compact package perfect for small shops. For larger deployments with QoS requirements I would avoid this feature unless CSG is load balanced or used in a proxy mode.

Another point regarding STAs:
I never liked internal dedicated STA deployment. A cost-effective robust solution (can be limited by Company policy though) is to use available hardware and create multiple CSG+WI/STA boxes that will be load balanced. WI/STA combination is perfect on a multi-homed box with DMZ-local IP address for STA. And as long as CSG and WI/STA are standalone (not part of the domain, etc.) and have no common accounts, it would be very hard to compromise your MetaFrame access.

ALEX

From: "Joe Shonk" <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] Re: Web Interface 2.0
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 06:26:23 -0700

Hmm..  I'm still not liking the idea of the STA service in the DMZ.  There
bound to an IIS server or two in the internal network and it's not like the
STA service is going to chew up gobs of resources.

Still, even if WI/SG are on separate boxes, only 1 SSL cert is required if
your using SG 2.x or better.  Remember, SG proxies WI requests now.

Joe