[THIN] Re: Way OT

  • From: Matt Kosht <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 21:11:42 -0400

There is simply no avoiding on-call 24 hr support in IT. Everyone I know in
the IT world is on call at least part of the time. I have lived with this
for almost 18 years with a family and kids. My systems are fairly stable
because I spend time testing changes/upgrades during normal work hours in a
good sandbox environment. Windows is the worst for unexplainable gotchas.
Also spend time mentoring/documenting your troubleshooting processes to
others so you can share the "joy". Get a PC in a room that has a
connection(broadband preferably) to the office where you won't disturb
everyone else while fixing something in the middle of the night. As Red
Green would say we're all in this together.