[THIN] Re: WYSE vs. NeoWare

  • From: Greg Reese <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:38:50 -0500

my company ran Wyse for several years and had nothing but problems.
We finally bit the bullet and tosssed them all in favor of Neoware.
They have been great.  The support has been good to.  The biggest
factor in choosing a thin client is the management software.  If you
don't have good software to manage and deploy the units, then you will
be wasting your time.  Neoware has good management tools and they are
compatible with third party tools like Altiris.  Wyse has some
different things,  I really don't know too much about it these days
but I am sure someone on this list can share their experience.

Both companies will send you a demo unit and provide support to check
them out.  I recommend you put them head to head and see which one
comes out on top for you.

Greg

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:35:22 -0500, Lich, Brian M <blich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am new to Citrix and the whole thin client world.  My organization is
> looking at deploying a patient management system via Citrix.  The app is in
> pilot now and performing very well in the Citrix farm.
>
> Now that the application is going, I've been asked to purchase some thin
> clients.  I was looking at either a WYSE client or NeoWare.  The problem
> that I have with WYSE is that it communicates via an FTP server, which in my
> organization is frowned upon.  So, I started to look into a NeoWare
> solution.
>
> What are you thoughts on both of these products (or any other thin clients)?
> The ability to lock down the systems so that not just any user can change
> the settings is important.  The ability to remotely upgrade the firmware
> would be nice.  I think that both of the clients mentioned above can do
> this.  However, I cannot use FTP as the means of communication.
>
> How does NeoWare handle the remote firmware updating and security settings?
>
> Thanks in advance...
> Brian

This Weeks Sponsor: RTO Software TScale
Services running Windows NT, 2000 or 2003.
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=296