[THIN] Re: WYSE 1200LE

  • From: Charlie Fraser <fraserc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:09:29 -0400

Folks, I have been holding my tongue on this, but I cannot any longer.
Our Organization has dumped Wyse both the 1200LE and the 3235. We have
an install base of 85, but are expanding to 400-500. Out of the 85 we
had 11 fail on us and had to get RMA's. Also be advised that if you want
to do local printing you need to purchase a "Wyse" usb to Centronics
printer cable list price at about $45. Futher, I had to pull all of my
1200 LE's because of a problem with their firmware which cannot do DHCP
requests to our DHCP server. They had a fix for this which resolves the
DHCP problem but causes display problems with XP FR2. We also had some
latency issues on the 3235's whcih had to be fixed with a firmware
upgrade. Lastly, Also take into account that Wyse's return policy is 2-4
weeks after you return the bad unit which you have to pay for shipping.
For an additional $19 per unit you can enter their Advanced Replacement
Program which you then get next day shipment of a new unit to replace
the defective one.

We have switched to a thin client called the Xxtreme PC from a company
called ChipPC which is comperably priced with the Wyse's and is working
well for us. Their SNMP software which manages the devices works well.

Charlie Fraser
Systems Engineer
Montclair State University