[THIN] Re: WIN2K3 TS CALS

>As I move to WIN2K3 for my farm, I have a 2003 AD DC with TS Licensing
running on it.  It is currently dispensing WIN2K TS Cals.

>I want to be able to use the WIN2K3 server, so I gather I need 2K3 TS
Cals, to connect to 2K3 TS/Citrix servers.

You are correct. You will need a certain number of 2K3 TS CALs.

>Should I choose per client or per user licensing?  Why?  What is more
efficient/robust?  I am thinking per user is the better bet.

It depends. If you have 30 users who will use 20 client machines (if,
for instance, you have 2 or 3 worker shifts, so you have more workers
than you have client devices, or you have a kiosk-type arrangement), get
the per-device CALS. On the other hand, if you have 30 users who will
use 50 different client machines to access the server, get per-user. You
really just want to minimize your CAL purchases, right?

Two other things to note:
- Currently, the TS License Server does NOT track per-user CALs. If you
do per-user licensing, the license server will happily hand out any
arbitrary amount you ask for. Although Microsoft knows this is
happening, it is still a violation of your Licensing Agreements to
actually use more per-user CALs than you have purchased.

- Previously, Microsoft allowed people who owned a copy of Windows XP
Professional to get one "free" TS CAL for each such license, if you
owned those XP licenses as of a certain date (which was April 24, 2003).
You can find details about the program here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/tscaltrans
faq.mspx. This could possibly save you some serious money.
This Weeks Sponsor: ThinPrint GmbH
and certificate management.
http://www.thinprint.com