[THIN] Re: W2K3 TSCAL License Server in multiple untrusted Domains.

  • From: "Jeremy Thomas" <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:12:14 +0100

"Can anyone confirm that for a W2K3 License Server to issue TS CALs to W2K
TS clients on another Domain, do you need to have these 2 Domains Trusted?
If the Trust is required will it work as an Inter Forest Trust and can it
just be in one direction?"

I'm basing this on how it's /supposed/ to work, so do test.
- Per device mode:
A W2K client (WS or Server) needs to have a TSCAL token to access a W2K3
terminal server running in "per device" licensing mode. So the TS looks at
the client and says "hey, that's a valid token" and lets it access TS
services It does not care where the TSCAL was issued from, and won't check
it at that point with the licensing server. However if the TSCAL is due for
renewal, it will need to go back to the server from which it was issued to
attempt to renew the lease for that TSCAL and re-issue it.
- Per user mode:
The TS says "I'm in per user mode" and does not check the TSCAL. Only works
for Y2K3 - not W2K.

Either way, the terminal server checks periodically that ther IS a valid
license server somewhere (I can't remember exactly when or how)
No mention of trusts => I think it's safe to assume that this does not have
anything to do with domain trusts.
I would have thought that given that the TS licence service is not AD
integrated, you should find that it works totally independantly of anything
else you have.

I don't know what happens to the TSCAL if you try to use a client on 2
different systems that are totally unrelated both running in per device
mode. Theoretically, the license server from A should recognise a TSCAL from
B as being valid, but then how does it re-issue a TSCAL to a B machine from
the A license pool? Would it require the client to have 2 TSCALs, one for A,
one for B? (Note - this is not an issue if the license servers can see each
other and sort it out between them)

You do need your license servers set up in Enterprise mode. The only place
I've ever seen that explained unambiguously is in one of Brian Madden's
books.