[THIN] Re: Visual Studio .NET

  • From: "Henry Sieff" <hsieff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:08:59 -0500

I run a server with this for a development team of about 16, but rarely
do we see more than 4-6 users at a time. I saw performance degradation
when I had 10 users compile a large app at the same time, but its been
pretty stable and that useage pattern isn't normal, so I would feel
pretty confident putting 20 or so users on there doing normal
development, anything more and things may get interesting because the
IDE is very inefficient for running apps.

I would strongly recommend, if you plan on pushing it to 20 users and
beyond, that you use a CPU and/or memory optimization package like
tscale or armtech because your developers will starve each other and the
OS.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/academic/techdown/techprod/netframework/devsys
/devsysws03/default.aspx is a link to a bunch of stuff about doing just
this.

Permissions can be hard - for some tasks (debugging asp.net apps in
IIS5) they need to be local admins (whidbey is supposed to fix this
problem). I simply use a runas and set up a local admin which they run
the app as once they log in if they need to do this. When I migrate this
to Win2k3, I can use II6 which allows me to give each developer their
own app pool which runs as them, and then they can debug to their hearts
content.

Sysinternals is crucial since when they aren't running as local admin
they still need extra perms to HKCR, et al.

Oh, and take images a lot, since at some point a third party control
will get installed that will fuxor everything.

SourceSafe (I assume that's what you mean) was very easy and runs great.
VS.NET is tougher, but as long as you are willing to spend some time
tweaking registry permissions and take steps to control changes (third
party control installation etc.) it can be pretty stable.

--
Henry Sieff
Network Engineer