[THIN] Re: VMWare Server Sizing

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:21:07 -0600

ESX is (in a word) the base OS. Really there is a console OS and the VM
Kernel . The Console is Redhat (modified) but the overhead for it is
bound to the first CPU and is very light.

I would assume though the boxes we recommend are generally pretty large
and we only do hand installs right now since there are only a few big
boxes per environment.=20

Ron Oglesby
Senior Technical Architect
Microsoft MVP, Windows Server=20
=20
RapidApp
Office 312.372.7188
Mobile 815.325.7618
email roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
=20

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On =
=3D
=3D3D
Behalf
Of Tony Lyne
Sent: February 22, 2004 12:04 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] VMWare Server Sizing

Guys,
=3D3D20

Im in the middle of designing a Citrix farm for a client and it seems =
=3D
=3D3D
the
VMWare subject has been thrashed around here quite a bit. But one thing
=3D
=3D3D
can find is the number is VMware sessions that should be run per server
before serious performance issues are hit.

=3D3D20

The farm will be running Linux then Vmware on that which will be =3D3D
launching
multiple VMWare Win2k3 server sessions with MFXPa/e.=3D3D20

=3D3D20

If they will only be doing the basic work like MS Office and other =3D3D
office
applications, typically from experience how many VMware sessions would
people expect to get per server before they notices a performance hit?

=3D3D20

The server kit will be DL360G3's with 4GB RAM and mirrored disks.

=3D3D20

I was expecting to start with each server running 2 VMware sessions each
=3D
=3D3D
and
see how that goes.

There will most likely be vertical application servers as well.

=3D3D20

Tony Lyne

Senior Systems Engineer=3D3D20

Computerland Central=3D3D20

P O Box 1470=3D3D20

PALMERSTON NORTH

Telephone (+64) 06 3537300

Facsimile (+64) 06 3566800

Mobile (+64) 0274 720696

E-mail Tony.Lyne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Internet http://www.computerland.co.nz =3D
<http://www.computerland.co.nz/>=3D3D20

CAUTION: This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain =3D3D
information
that is confidential and subject to privilege. If you are not the =3D3D
intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify me immediately and delete all material
pertaining to this e-mail. Thank you.

=3D3D20

=3D3D20

=3D3D20

=3D3D20

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.=3D3D20
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting=3D3D20
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting=3D3D20
http://vizioncore.com/products.html=3D3D20

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.=3D20
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting=3D20
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting=3D20
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting=3D20
http://vizioncore.com/products.html=3D20

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.=20
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting=20
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting=20
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting=20
http://vizioncore.com/products.html=20