From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of TheThin
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 12:55 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: VMWare ESX testing

From watching the exchanges on the list.  It seems the only two signifcant
benefits are the following:

Consolidating under used servers - If you want 2 or more CSG and NFUSE and
domain controllers in a farm for five hundred users it's a way to do this
with one or two servers.  This would also be great for patching \ rebooting
these servers.  You don't reboot the actual box, you just reboot the guest
OS on VMWARE.  The VMWARE box just happily runs on.

Fault Tolerance - With the right version of VMWARE you can lose an entire
server (of any type) including a Citrix server according to one poster. And
the server will fault over to it's redundant one with no notice to the users
(including no dropped Citrix sessions).  I actually really want to see this
work :)  Maybe at Brian Madden's conference in DC? It just sounds to cool to
believe.  None of my customer's really require that kind of ultimiate
redundancy (that's what silos are for), but it sounds great.

- Brian Politis