[THIN] Re: VMWare ESX

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:27:19 -0500

Wow, people still go out and buy dedicated machines for DHCP and WINS
these days?  Hopefully you don't even need WINS anymore (in a perfect MS
world).  I just runs DNS/DHCP/WINS on my DCs and have 2 DCs with these
services. Somewhat of a standard practice IMO.  I've seen people split
them up however, but never dedcating a server as powerful as a
PE1650/DL360 just for that.  If everyone had unlimuited budgets however,
that would make for an impressive server array :/

Anyways, Using VMWare ESX would let you have even MORE redundancy for
things like that.  Instead of 2 DNS servers, you could have 4 of them.
Definitely a cool item, but in the end, you're still relying on ONE
server instead of many, and when things break, it's usually the
hardware, not the software.  So there is still the hardware bottleneck.

I see VMWare ESX's biggest advantage being the ability to have multiple
redundant systems and having the freedom to test/reboot/whatever
machines more freely then you would when you have to rely on having
dedicated hardware for everything.

It would be a good product for a test lab environment.