[THIN] Re: VMWare ESX

  • From: "Luchette, Jon" <JLuchette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:38:56 -0400

So you don't really think of it as a true server consolidation product?  I
am getting conficting reports here.  This is the question: Can I use VMWare
to squeeze more VM's/servers on the same hardware and expect equal
perfomance as would be on independent boxes?  If not and I need to buy more
hardware to run multiple servers, it is sort of the same as buying more
physical servers.  I can understand that, but then why does VMWare continue
to market this as a server consolidation / containment product when the real
advantages are focused on other areas like testing/R&D, and DR?