[THIN] Re: Users missing from TSadmin

Hi Nick,

Threadmaster should work fine in a non-TS environment, as long as it's win2k or
better. It's "tunable" on a per executable basis and can also be set to exclude
nominated applications from control. But what it does is control thread
priorities, it doesn't limit memory usage or any other resource utilization.

Threadmaster may help you, and hyperthreading awareness probably isn't
necessary. In fact if it's win2k the O.S. isn't even hyperthreading aware.

However, unless your system gets out of control through a runaway process
chewing too much CPU, you're better off spending a bit more time finding out
what's wrong or spending some money getting real resource management.

I'd recommend you get a copy of "Windows 2000 Performance Guide" by Friedman
and Pentakalos (ISBN 1-56592-466-5). Once you've waded through the book, you'll
be a lot better equipped to find out what's killing your system.

On a general note, the use of resource management has been around for quite a
while on non-TS systems.

As an example, Armtech has been used on non-TS systems (and non-win32) for
years to control application and system resources, Appsense is being used with
SQL server etc.

It just makes sense to make sure that all applications on a server get a cut of
the action without killing the O.S.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack