From: Joel Stolk [mailto:JStolk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 10:28 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Users installing programs

That sounds like a big administrative hassle to me.  We used to manage NTFS
read-only permissions on \Program Files and \Windows folders on the servers,
but with as many server and apps as we have, it was a big PITA.  We now use
hidden drives and the GPO settings I mentioned before, and the registry
security.  We have a ton of other GPO restrictions, about 12 pages worth
printed out.  Our users complained at first, but we have almost eliminated
end user generated help desk calls.

The best thing to do would be to set up a server in the lab see what
combination works best for you.  Test different approaches and see what you
can break.  There will always be some way to mess up a terminal server, but
you can eliminate about 99% of the problems.

-Joel

  _____