[THIN] Re: USB devices on Windows based clients

  • From: Greg Reese <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Thin <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 06:52:18 -0600

I've been watching this thread. I don't see anything wrong with simply telling users that if they want to access their thumbdrive, then they need to insert it before initiating their session. Yes it is inconvenient but it is low impact. Remember, not all solutions are technical. If the users don't like it then tough $hit, usb drives spread viruses and steal corporate secrets anyway.

That said, It also might be worth testing to connect back to it as a network drive. We're talking about and xpe thin client here so the drive configuration should remain predictable. So mapping a drive to \ \clientname\d$ should circle back to that USB drive. You could wrap that up in a batch file for the user to run after they plug in the drive. Client name or client ip is a session variable you can access so one script should do it.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 11, 2009, at 4:52 AM, Rick Mack <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi David,

One thing has to be made clear. Citrix do not support USB redirection with XenApp server. Not for USB storage devices, nor USB Activesync nor USB printers. XenDesktop now supports USB redrection using the new HDX USB Virtual hub, XenApp doesn't.

Plugging in a USB storage device on a Windows system initiates the USBSTOR driver and mounts that USB device as a local drive. When you initiate an ICA or RDP session and have client drive remapping enabled, the client's local drives, including the USB storage device will be visible in the terminal services session.

But only when you start your terminal services session, not if the USB drive is plugged in later. DynamicUSB gets around this problem by dynamically linking USB storage drives to a subdirectory on the local user's C: drive. So all you're doing when you plug in a drive during a session is changing the contents of a directory. This is actually pretty elegant since it nicely gets around the need to restart a session to see a new local drive.

It turns out that USB redirection on a terminal server is both very easy and actually nearly impossible. Creating a redirected USB virtual hub isn't all that hard, but that's visible to every user on a terminal server. Session isolation and the incorporation of stuff like virtual loopbacks etc to support Activesync gets quite difficult.

To date the only company to support true isolated USB redirection on terminal services is Quest's provision Networks division (USB-IT). Trouble is USB-IT was only aimed at specified relatively low speed PDA devices and not a lot else (though it was extensible). We're working on something totally generic for USB-IT V2 but that's still a few months away before we've got something to show.

Otherwise there's always Server 2008/Windows 7 but from what I can tell I don't think that's going to be generic USB redirection either. But I could definitely be wrong.

It might be worthwhile to persevere with DynamicUSB. If it let you use a folder off a RAM disk on an embedded XP device it'd be perfect.

regards,

Rick

--
Ulrich Mack
Quest Software
Provision Networks Division

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 8:16 AM, David Demers <David.Demers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Sorry, specifically we are mostly dealing with USB portable drives.