[THIN] Re: USB Protection

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:37:04 -0000

Ronnie,

What is it you want to do?

Safend is more about data protection isn't it? So you're controlling what
data is stored to the USB drive, and if that data is going to be encrypted
and potentially audit when that data is transferred: all very important -
perhaps more important that blocking the ability to run programs from a
drive.

Application Manager is a great product for preventing unauthorised
application access; and allowing you to give users control without giving
them admin privileges. But App Manager doesn't have a function to (say) only
allow data to be written if the USB drive isn't encrypted.

So if you replace Safend with App Manager it's not exactly like-for-like.

I'd agree - just because it's not certified doesn't mean it won't work but
you'll likely find that the agent needs to be installed on the end device to
get it to work reliably.