[THIN] Re: UPHClean

  • From: Nick <nick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Seitz, Linden" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:18:35 -0400

Hello Linden,

SL> What does UPHClean do anyway?

UPHClean v1.2 readme.txt last updated September 23, 2003 by Robin Caron

All feedback appreciated to rcaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

WHAT IS UPHCLEAN
================

UPHClean is a service that once and for all gets rid of problems with user
profile not unloading.

You are having profile unload problems if you experience slow logoff (with
Saving Settings for most of the time while logging off), roaming profile
that do not reconcile, or the registry size limit is reached.

WHY DO PROFILES NOT UNLOAD?
===========================

Many system and service processes do work on behalf of users.  When the work
is done the system or service process is responsible for releasing handles it
has to the user profile hive.  If this is not done by the service as the user
logs off the profile cannot be unloaded.

This problem in code can be caused by improper coding either in Microsoft
software or 3rd party software (e.g. printer drivers, virus scanner service,
etc).  With the information provided by the system there is no way to find
out what software needs to be corrected to allow profiles to unload.

What does the user see?  What happens to the profile?

On Windows NT4 the system gives up immediately on failure to unload the profile
and the (roaming) profile is not reconciled.

On Windows 2000 the system attempts to unload the profile 60 times at
1 second interval.  This retry logic rarely helps so in most cases after 60
seconds of the user waiting at the Saving Settings message box the system
gives up and roaming profiles are not reconciled.  The number of retries
can be changed to allow the user to log off faster (this can be done using
the policy under Computer Configuration, Administrative Template,
System, User Profiles, Maximum retries to unload and update user profile)

On Windows XP and 2003, the profile is reconciled using a copy of the contents
of the registry.  The user is not made to wait as in Windows 2000.  The problem
left is that the computer cannot recover the memory the profile uses until it
can be unloaded.

Also in some cases (e.g. using anonoymous logons) you may find that you cannot
log on if the profile cannot be unloaded.

WHY SHOULD i USE UPHCLEAN?
==========================

In the past these issues have been fixed by changes to code to release the
registry handle. The disadvantage of this approach is that in many cases
multiple issues (different code paths) are causing the profiles to not
unload.  Unless all problem code paths are fixed profiles do not unload.

The concept of UPHClean is to deal with these the same way the operating
system deals with other resource issue: when a task is done resources
(memory, handles, etc) are automatically reclaimed.  UPHClean accomplishes
this simply by monitoring for users to log off and verifying that unused
resources are reclaimed.  If they are not it reclaims the resource and logs
its action.  This approach is superior as it works for any known reason
that profiles do not unload and also will keep working to address new
unknown issues.

Another advantage to UPHClean is that no computer restart is required to
install it or remove it (except on Windows NT 4).  You can install and
remove UPHClean to find out whether it helps with a profile unload problem or
not.  You can do this without having to worry about what hotfix, service pack,
feature pack, etc has been installed.  Set it and forget is the goal of
UPHClean.

By default UPHClean takes action to allow profiles to unload.  You can also
choose to have UPHClean only report what processes it finds preventing profiles
from unloading.  To do this, install UPHClean and use the registry editor to set
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\UPHClean\Diagnostics\REPORT_ONLY to
1 (this is a DWORD value).

HOW CAN i TELL FOR SURE IF I'M HAVING A PROFILE UNLOAD PROBLEM?

Apart from the above symptoms a user experience events are recorded in the
event log.  You can use Event Viewer to look for the following events:

On Windows NT 4

The application event log has error events with source Userenv, event id
1000.  The event text is:

The operating system was unable to load your profile.  Please contact
your Network Administrator.

On Windows NT 4 this is the only symptom you can find in the event log
indicating this problem is present.  The only way to be sure is to follow
through with attempting to use UPHClean resolution to find out if you have
this problem or have some other problem.

On Windows 2000

The application event log has error events with source Userenv, event id
1000.  When you call up the event you get the one of following events:

Windows cannot unload your registry file.  If you have a roaming profile,
your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

- or -

Windows cannot unload your registry class file.  If you have a roaming
profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.

DETAIL Access is denied.

- or -

Windows cannot log you on because the profile cannot be loaded. Contact
your network administrator.

This last error is relevant if you find one of the other ones earlier
in the application log.

On Windows XP and 2003

You will see of the following error events in the application log:

Userenv/1517:

Windows saved user X registry while an application or service was still
using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry
has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the
services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Userenv/1524:

Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other
applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Userenv/1500:

Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you
are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If
this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

This last error (1500) is relevant if you find one of the other ones earlier in
the application log.

--
Best regards,
 Nick                            mailto:nick@xxxxxxxxxxx

This Week's Sponsor - NetX Inc.
NOT all of your data resides at the server, can you backup and restore every PC
in your company including remote systems ? FlexSafe protects your
organization's data with client backup and recovery. Snapshots take just a few
minutes, even for notebook users who connect through a dial-up modem.
http://www.netxinc.com/product_flexsafe.asp