[THIN] Re: UNattended install of Win2k and MF

  • From: "Tony Lyne (Computerland)" <Tony.Lyne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:01:28 +1300

Hi Mike,

Ive done quite a bit of this. The source code for the initial wizard I
cannot give you because of our IP stuff here. But what I can suggest is
this.

We have found that using a deployment tool like Altiris almost negates the
need to write the initial code for prompting for Machine name IP address etc
to be put into the unattended.txt file. As Altiris has the ability to change
the machine configuration as part of the deployment event through the
Altiris client. The configuration can be predefined as part of a job. And
normal unattended installs can be used as a part of the deployment event.

The great thing about these tools is that they are dirt cheap. I think from
memory a server license is something like $300 NZD per server. The same
deployment console can also deploy out desktop builds using the same manner.
Also support PXE as standard. Has many smarts in it for the Compaq servers
as well.

Hope this helps.

Tony.