[THIN] Re: Trouble replicating MPS3 on W2K3

  • From: Rick Mack <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 05:31:56 +1000

Hi Angus,

Have a look at bartpe, http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/.

It lets you make a bootable CD based on windows server 2003 (or XP)
with nice things like regedit etc plus whatever else you want to add.

As an example the boot environment lets you load the registry of a
broken system for repair or modification. The drive letter change can
be done really easily and many other tools like like regsrch (global
search and replace through registry) work just fine. It'll turn your
little nightmare into a 15 minute job.

Some types of file system corruption (eg like with IBM x-series 336
early BIOS firmware!!) can make a system just crash on booting. Being
to run chkdsk etc against a severely broken system is just brilliant,
and of course you've got full read/write access.

But back to your imaging scenario.

You'd really be far better off, since you're using imaging already, by
using newsid and avoiding sysprep.

Unless of course you like pain, in which case case I'd be the last one
to stop you enjoying yourself ;-)

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems

On 5/19/05, Angus Macdonald <Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The trouble is, once the drives have been remapped, the server refuses to
> boot as it can't find M:\...\ctxgina.dll. The only option at this point is
> to restart.
>
> However, it isn't as bad as I feared. Using Sysinternals excellent ERD 2003
> boot disk I was able to save all my kix scripts, flex profiles, group policy
> settings etc to USB drive. I've reinstalled W2K3 and Citrix, restored all
> the saved stuff and only have apps to do now. It might even take less than a
> day in total.

This Weeks Sponsor: ThinPrint GmbH
and certificate management.
http://www.thinprint.com