[THIN] Re: Tracking 2003 CAL's

  • From: Gary Scanga <Gary.Scanga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:03:59 -0500

Thanks Carl. Yes, I was asking about Per-user CAL utilization. Bummer there's
no simple way to track these in 2003.

I'm continuing to look into managing the utilization of these CAL's because I
suspect that we're running near capacity and want to know when the limit's been
reached. However, based on this
definition<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client_Access_License#CAL_Enforcement>
it appears that my 2003 terminal server farm may allow additional connections
beyond the number of CAL's installed. So, if I have 500 CAL's configured on my
2003 terminal server license server, connection number 501 would technically be
allowed. And perhaps that's a reason why tracking their utilization isn't so
important as it won't negatively impact the business.

Can else anyone confirm this?

I simply want to avoid the opposite being true and connection number 500 is
rejected due to a CAL limitation.

Thanks!