[THIN] Terminal Server Licensing on a Win2kAD

  • From: "Steve Parr" <steveparr6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:07:25 -0500

As far as my research indicates Terminal Server licensing must run on a Win2k3 Domain Controller box if the Terminal Servers are running in a Win2k3 AD. Is that correct? A few people say that it can run on a non-Win2k3 DC and there is a registry hack which can force the TS servers to use a specified Licensing server. Does a DC work better though? In my test lab I have found that communication from one TS server to another Licensing server works best when the Licensing server is a DC. If you set up the Terminal Server Licensing server service on a TS and browse for other TS licensing servers they will automatically find the licensing server which is a DC. Non-DC Licensing server need to be added in manually and will be found but if you reboot the TS server it will lose contact with the non-DC Licensing server but the DC licensing server is retained. I know the process of TS servers communicating and granting TS license token is a diff process entirely but I am wondering if there will be the same issue of better/more reliable communication with DC licensing servers. I do not have real licenses to use in my test lab to test this out. I am sure there are people out there who have run into this. We are on the verge of migrating from NT domain to AD 2003 and I am trying to anticipate TS requirements.

Also how much do things get messed up when changing the netbios names of my Citrix Metaframe XP FR3 boxes. The network architect is intent on changing as many server names to meet with a new standard. I have read a procedure in Brian Maddens book that seems to do this in a fairly straightforward way that involves deleting the wfcname.ini and deleting any published apps from CMC which get readded after the name change. Is there anything else? And is the procedure the same for the data store XP server and does order matter ie. change name of data store server before the others?

Steve Parr
Metroland IT

This Weeks Sponsor: ThinPrint, GmbH
Now available: .print Remote Desktop Printing Engine for Microsoft Terminal Services
http://www.thinprint.com/dotprint/index.php?s=682&lc=1
********************************************************** Useful Thin Client Computing Links are available at:
http://www.thinwiki.com