[THIN] Re: Terminal Server License question - Domain function level impact

  • From: "Stefan Timmermans" <stefan.timmermans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 13:48:20 +0100

Chris,

I've been sniffing
http://www.petri.co.il/understanding_function_levels_in_windows_2003_ad.htm

and as I expected no changes of the DFL nor FFL pertain to TS license
servers.

If you have a workgroup license server, then your TS2003 server need an
hardcoded entry in the registry to point to your License Server

Otherwise LDAP is used and the DS is queried for your license server.

As of the handbook of Brian Madden (Terminal Services for micorosoft windows
server 2003)

If you enable a license policy setting on the license server namely Computer
settings | adm templates | Windows Components | Terminal Services |
Licensing

a local group (called Terminal Server computers) will be created on your
SAM, if the License server is on an DC , the group will be created as an DLG
(domain local group).

Only members of this group will be granted the option to hand out licenses
on behalf of their connecting clients.

Regards,

Stefa Timmermans

  _____