[THIN] Re: TS Licensing - Again!

  • From: Cláudio Rodrigues <Claudio.Rodrigues@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:09:36 -0500

Actually there is no such thing is built-in TS CAL. This became sort of a
misconception.

What happens is when using Windows 2000 Terminal Services, Windows 2000
Professional and Windows XP Professional machines get their TS CALs from the
built-in pool on the LICENSING SERVER. This means no OS has built-in TS CALs
whatsoever.

These two get TS CALs from the built-in pool what means you do not need to
purchase any Windows 2000 TS CAL when using such OSs as terminal server
clients.

2003 changed all this and now no OS gets licenses from a 2003 TSCAL built-in
pool that actually does not even exist.

Cláudio Rodrigues

Microsoft MVP

Windows Technologies - Terminal Services

http://www.terminal-services.net

  _____