[THIN] Re: Survey: What management software are you using to manage Intel vPro machines

  • From: Jim Kenzig <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:44:39 -0400

*Hi Mike,*
*I'll have to talk with you offline about this but the Intel vPro chip does
not use a Magic packet either. There would be some development things to do
to add the feauture set I think.*
**
* It is almost like the iLo on the HP servers where you can completely
manage the machine at the bios level.  The bios feature that does this is
called the AMT.*
**
*The benefit of the Intel vPro(i5 or i7) bios chipset on a laptop from a
management point of view is that as long as the unit is plugged into power
(and not in sleep/hibernate mode) that you can turn the thing on WIRELESSLY
remotely and then you can manage it with whatever software you want. No
wired network connection is needed. At issue is a fleet of 100 wireless
laptops that need updating and they stay powered off for the most part when
not in use but plugged in power to charge.*

*Jim Kenzig
http://www.kenzig.com*