[THIN] Re: Suggestions on 3rd party printer software

Refer to CTX114287 which will explain what Joe means. You'll need to set the
DefaultPrnFlags value on the XenApp servers.

I also try to stick with the Citrix Universal Driver where possible. But
sometimes you limit the users options and printing features, especially with
the more advanced printers, so I also use the HP UPD, Xerox GPD, Canon UFR
2, etc. Sure, people will bag them, but over the last couple of years the
manufacturers have put in heaps of effort to sort them out. You could argue
over whether they are TS/Citrix certified or not. But they are written with
TS/Citrix in mind and work well when implemented correctly. The advantage is
that they cover most printer models, so you can simply create driver
mappings for client printers. I don't have an example of a Canon driver
mapping. But on my last project I had to deal with heaps of Xerox printers.
So instead of deploying all the drivers, such as the "FX Document Centre
400/350/250 driver", I just mapped it to the "Xerox Global Print Driver
PCL", and it works well. You could do something similar with the Canon UFR
2.

Of course this does not discount solutions like ThinPrint, Screwdrivers,
Tricerat, etc. They are great. But if you step back and approach the issue
differently, you can make it easier for on-going maintenance and management,
whilst giving the users as many features as possible.

Cheers,

Jeremy.