[THIN] Re: Streaming MYOB

  • From: Warren Simondson <caditc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 12:03:54 +1000

Hi James

that's unfortunate that our testing still didn't help you. I'm not so sure that
the demo installer
would be the problem, but we did use an official CD out of a MYOB box product.
If you would like
an FTP site to download this version, please let me know and I can provide it
via a secure email.
There's no copyright infringment here becasue the software can be installed and
distributed
anywhere - it's the company file that must be activated. Let me know and I'll
send you the link.

As for the profiling machine, we treat building profiles like we did when
Citrix Installation
Manager was the rage many years ago (how old do I feel) - build everything on a
new image of
a blank machine. In this MYOB example, we simply built a BLANK Windows 2003 sp2
machine
with nothing else on it, to be the profiling machine. We didn't install any
other program, we
didn't add it to the domain, etc. All pretty basic. We did install Office 2k3/
2k7 on the profiling
machine on the second run of tests to try and break it, and we got the results
as stated. One
other note is that our profiling machine and our Citrix Server that we streamed
the package to
and published, were Xenserver 5.0.0.u3 VM's, but it should make much
difference. For me, the
rule is to profile your packages on a clean machine everytime, unless the
program relies on
another software package. And when buidling package for a Citrix environment,
only install the
operating system you are using + sp's +hotfixes. Don't install Citrix, Don't
add Terminal
Services, just a vanilla install and that's it.

We had success every time with MYOB like this, except when Office 2k3/2k7
became part of the
mix. If you want the FTP link, let me know. I'm happy to help you where I can
so keep me in
the loop if you are banging you head against a brivk wall.

Cheers

--
Warren Simondson

Ctrl-Alt-Del IT Consultancy Pty Ltd

Website: http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com.au

On Mon, May 25th, 2009 at 10:54 AM, James Scanlon <scanjam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > We also used Office 2003 and the same errors occured with
> Officelink templates and outlook
> > sync on.
> >
> > We did a quick install when building the profile with Profiler 1.2,
> so nothing special there.
> >
> > So after all the playing/ testing we did, and it was a fun time for
> my staff, I guess I'm saying
> > that the Office components of MYOB may be the problem in your
> scenario. Let me know if any of
> > this is helpful. In most cases we had MYOB 12 Premier working like
> a charm with both the
> > clearwater DB on another network share and a live company DB.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > --
> > Warren Simondson
> >
> > Ctrl-Alt-Del IT Consultancy Pty Ltd
> >
> > Website: http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com.au
> >

> > On Thu, May 14th, 2009 at 10:53 AM, James Scanlon
> <scanjam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > Warren, I woudl be eternally grateful!!!
> > >

> > > Its Windows 2003 Standard SP2
> > > XenApp 5.0 (4.5 Fp1 or whatever it is) Enterprise
> > >
> > > Profiler 1.2
> > >
> > > Myob Premier 12
> > >

> > > I can get it to profile successfully and to stream it to other
> > > servers, and launching it with RADERUN or even publishign and
> running
> > > so far works fine, however upon trying to get the application to
> open
> > > a MYOB database we get "initilisation error" . WHen profiled
> "relaxed
> > > security" was used (after full security) to no avail...
> > >

> > > Naturally without isolating/profiling the program it works fine.
> > >
> > > I am thinking its a simple rule somewhere that i just need to
> relax
> > > to allow the program OUT to access its database files. . but not
> > > quite sure what to set?
> > >

> > > Interestingly enough I cant access the 'clearwater' database
> > > contained within the profile either, still comes up with the
> same
> > > message.
> > >

> > > Your help would be greatly appreciated!!
> > >
> > > Thank you
> > >

> > > James
> > >
> > > scanjam@xxxxxxxxxxx

> I'll
> > > get one of my staff to run
> that
> > > run MYOB 12 and we
> is
> > > and I'll be happy to provide our
> > > things ourselves instead of waiting

> > > version

> halting
> > > the

> > > Looking to move somewhere new this winter? Let ninemsn property
> help
> > >
> http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Edomain%2Ecom%2Eau%
> > 2F%3Fs%5Fcid%3DFDMedia%3ANineMSN%5FHotmail%
> > 5FTagline&_t=774152450&_r=Domain_tagline&_m=EXT

> > //www.freelists.org/list/thin
> > Follow ThinList on Twitter
> > http://twitter.com/thinlist
> > Thin List discussion is now available in blog format at:
Follow ThinList on Twitter
http://twitter.com/thinlist