[THIN] Strange PS 4.0 Printing issue

  • From: "Phillips, Kevin" <k.phillips@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:38:59 -0400

This is a random issue but one of our users has came across it, so now its
my turn to figure out how to stop it. Here is the situation:

We are an ASP environment using Windows 2003 SP1 / PS4 Hotfix Rollup 1 farm
using legacy printer naming (some of our apps save printer names so we
cannot use the native 2003 naming).  Every night we stop the Citrix Print
Manager Service and Print Spooler Service to clear any hung print jobs, then
restart the services.

This is where it gets interesting. If a user is logged onto the server when
this process occurs, then gets temporarily disconnected and reconnects,
their printers are added to the Printer list. But this time they are listed
using the 2003 naming (Printer Name in Session #). Also Everyone on the
server has rights to print to these printers.

This means they could accidentally print to another clients printers (this
has happened before), and my team gets yelled at for not securing our users
data.

Has anyone seen this before, or can duplicate? Any known fix besides not
stopping the service (which we have put into effect for the time being)?

Thanks!
Kevin