[THIN] Re: Starting it all over

  • From: Rob Slayden <rslayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:27:48 -0800

Another thing, if you go rack-mounted servers, definitely do IP-KVM. We are
loving it, having migrated over from standard KVM with the thick cables! You
can not only simplify your cabling through the racks, but you can also
access the consoles through their IP addresses instead. Also, something else
to consider is going with overhead ladder racks for network and fibre
cabling. We recently deployed them in the data center and they have helped
us immensely. My network manager recommends taking a look at Panduit's
rack-based patch-panel infrastructure. By implementing a 192-port path panel
in the top 4U of every rack, you should pretty much cover your bases for
even the most dense implementations. For example, 42 DL360 servers with 3
ports cabled per servers is 126 cable runs. You would still have plenty left
over. Another thing; although the blade infrastucture can include switches
deployed to the enclosures with GBIC uplinks back to core switches,
depending upon how your network environment is configured, there may be
issues with VTP domains and spanning tree. Just some things to consider...

rob