[THIN] Re: Spyware Tools

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:51:48 -0400

I started looking for Corporate deployed ad-ware/spyware tools and came
across Pest Patrol Corporate Edition and Webroot Spy Sweeper Enterprise
edition as the ONLY two Corporate/Enterprise grade products.  When I say
corporate/enterprise, I mean centrally deployed, managed, and reported
upon.

Pest Patrol i tried first and it was a MAJOR letdown in the
administration console and reporting categories.  It was not worth a
single penny IMO.  It detected spyware and removed it, but it's
interface is horrid and the reporting is worse.  Maybe CA will make it
better.  It's currently at v5, it should be labelled v1.0 IMO

Webroot Spy Sweeper was MUCH more along the lines of what I was looking
for . Very impressive for being v1.5 of a product and only about 1.5
years old (from what a sales rep told me).  The administrative console
gives you pretty much everything you need.  It's not deployed frm the
management console like Pest Patrol but can be deployed via login script
or GPO.  The downside is the price, something close to $37 per seat for
the 0-200 price range.  OUCH.  Way overpriced.  Full suite Enterprise
A/V products are cheaper.

Please note I was looking for *dedicated* ad/spyware products and not
what the A/V vendors are now starting to offer (or have been offering).