[THIN] Re: Slightly OT: SQL Redundancy

Put "EMC/Legato's FullTime AutoStart/SE (formerly Co-StandbyServer
AAdvanced)" on your list to check out.

I have it on the way to replace our MSCS Exchange Cluster.

The advantage of Autostart is that we can use block level mirroring between
nodes and eleminate the single point of failure of the shared scsi resource.

We opted not to use clustering for our SQL boxes due to the steep processor
licensing as you have to graduate to  Enterprise processor licenses.

What we opted to do is buy two hardware boxes that are totally identical,
Each loaded with 2gb RAM (Max for Standard), we licensed the ACTIVE box for
its Dual Processors. We use the spare box just as a test/development box.
Both boxes are configured with two 146gb ultra3 hot-swap scsi drives in a
hardware mirror.  24gb system partition, the rest is for SQL on a secondary
partition. If there is a failure on the primary server, I have dedicated
hardware already in the rack, powered on, ready to recieve the drives  from
the failed box.  If the failed box's drives are whats suspect, then I have
to restore from backup.

Your business realities may be different and not allow you to have this kind
of manual failover. But the alternative in our case was just too expensive
to justify.

  _____