[THIN] Re: Slightly OT: SQL Redundancy

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:06:38 -0700

Can anyone clarify exactly what MS offers in their clustering in relation to
SQL. For example, I know you can Replicate SQL and you can cluster it. When
I think of cluster I think of a shared disk space that both servers access,
when one server fails the other takes over looking at the same physical data
location. When I think of replication I think of two servers with separate
disks replicating data across servers and disk space. Does MS offer the
option to replicate to two separate SQL servers with separate disk storage
AND failover automatically, i.e. server 2 takes on the network identity of
server 1 automatically?

I understand that Double Take does this, I am just trying to clarify whether
MS offers the same features or not.

thanks

Steve Greenberg

Thin Client Computing