From: Rink, Jesse [mailto:JRink@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 11:48 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Server recommendations

Looking for some feedback here.  I worked a lot with load balanced farms =
and NFuse in the past with Winframe and Metaframe 1.8, but I haven't =
used Citrix/TS in about 2 years so I'm kinda rusty.  XP wasn't even =
available when I was managing my Citrix servers so I'm clueless when it =
comes to XP.  That being said, be nice to me, haha.
=20
I'm currently considering updating one of our computer labs (in the high =
school) which has older PII machines.  The original thought was to buy =
brand new PCs but I'm starting to reconsider and thinking about going =
Citrix (or maybe just terminal services) and re-using the old PCs.  The =
older PII machines should be enough to work as thin clients.  The PCs =
are mainly used to surf the internet (IE), Office XP (mainly Word, =
Publisher, Power Point), a speech program, and a CAD program. =20
=20
I was tentatively looking at using Citrix XP with load balancing for the =
lab.  (2) IBM x345 servers with dual 2GHz processors, 1GB memory, and a =
single 36GB drive.  I've always been under the theory that when you use =
Citrix load balancing, it's more cost effective to NOT stock your =
servers with redundant power supplies, redundant drives, redundant NICs, =
etc. since the redundancy is taken care of via load balancing instead of =
at the server level.  This keeps my cost of hardware cheaper, which =
saves me money to afford the load balancing piece for Citrix or software =
assurance, etc.
=20
My question is whether or not the proposed server setup listed above =
would be adequate for this lab.  All 30 PCs would be used at the same =
time, so I could POSSIBLY have 30 users using internet explorer at the =
same time so I need my servers capable of handling this load.   I was =
originally thinking having (2) IBM x345 servers with a single processor, =
but I'm leaning towards dual processors.  I'm looking for feedback from =
people on whether my server config would be adequate or whether I need =
more servers/hardware.=20
=20
If memory serves me correctly, and it probably doesn't, I thought a dual =
processor PIII Xeon processor server with a lot of memory could easily =
handle 25 users.  If that's true, then my configuration with two servers =
would be overkill.  =20
=20
Thoughts?  Thanks.
=20