[THIN] Re: SV: (OT)Advice to buy new server

  • From: "Jeremy Thomas" <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:15:26 +0100

Performance is not really the issue here. It's a matter of costs.

You have HP/Compaq servers, so you know this hardware. If you get another
server in that range, it will use similar management technology, terminology
and support infrastructures. All of which you are currently familiar with.
Things like RIBs & iLOs, Insight Manager, SupportPaqs, etc.

If you buy IBM or Dell, you have to duplicate some of the proprietry
expertise that you've currently got with your HP stuff. So you have to learn
some things all over again. That could be a major investment. Hidden cost.

If I understand correctly, you're only wanting a single non-rackmount
server, so the obvious choice is going to be something in the HP Proliant ML
range. It's not worth considering something else - the cost of managing an
odd server will outweigh any extra cost in buying HP.