[THIN] Re: SATA drives

  • From: Tom Diroff <tdiroff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 12:46:14 -0400

Hi

There was an recent article (that I can't find now) that suggested SATA with NQ and partitioning the drive to only use the outside tracks where average performance is best, would give SAS performance at a SATA price.

Sounded  interesting

Joe Shonk wrote:

No,  SATA with NCQ can handle multiple commands in the channel.

Here is write up from Seagate:

http://www.seagate.com/products/interface/sata/native.html

More or less, the performance difference of SATA and SCSI has to do with spindle speed.    Sure SCSI is better, but it’s also running at 10k or 15k.   Most SATA drives run at 5.4k or 7.2k with a few running at 10k.

Joe