[THIN] Re: SATA drives

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 14:17:19 +0100

Fair point with the assholes and opinion.

But potentially that system you've described is not 'subpar'. Why have you
specified server hardware and not lashed together a normal PC with bits from
your local PC store? It's server standard hardware, with a warranty, you've
mirrored the drives.

My argument against the the 'subpar' was that, to me it is short sighted to
specifically design a solution that you expect to underachieve. If a box is
not intended to be highly stressed, maybe you don't need the second
processor, maybe some less memory, and maybe slower drives - but that box
should still deliver good performance and relibability for the requirements
of the users - the goal should never be 'subpar'.