[THIN] Re: SATA drives

  • From: "Jeff Pitsch" <jepitsch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 16:54:25 -0400

I have to completely disagree with this.  There is nothing slower in a
computer/server than the hard drives.  Can other portions be bottlenecks,
absolutely, but you aren't typically running out of CPU or even memory on a
32-bit system.  why do you think most companies go with 2cpu systems vs 4?
Becaues CPU isn't the bottleneck (typically) in a 32-bit system.  As well,
your arguement falls flat because now we are talking about duo-core dies so
those blades, 1U's, etc are now 4way boxes and can be taken advantage of in
64-bit implementations.

I'm sorry there is no good arguement for going SATA over SCSI in a TS
environment.  It's short sighted and your shooting yourself in the foot
before you even get off the ground.

Jeff Pitsch Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server Provision Networks VIP

Forums not enough?
Get support from the experts at your business
http://jeffpitschconsulting.com

On 10/2/06, Melvin.Columna@xxxxxxxxx <Melvin.Columna@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But will it be the smallest bottleneck, might the # of CPUs (specially in Blade systems) not be another potential bottleneck ?

I was going chime in last week regarding the warranty, maybe Compaq or
some other only give you a 1 year warranty, but most drives these days (even
PATA) have 3 or 5 year warranty.

And it is true what Amer said, we had a notorious SCSI HD failure rate on
our IBM X350, X360 and X365 servers--blame Hitachi.